February 23, 2015

Elizabeth I and Her Circle by Susan Doran


T I T L E: Elizabeth I and Her Circle
A U T H O R: Susan Doran
P U B L I S H E R: Oxford University Press
P U B L I S H--D A T E: June 1, 2015
I S B N: 9780199574957
Non-Fiction

This book tells of both the personal and political relationships of Queen Elizabeth I. Susan Doran uses many different resources such as private letters, state papers, portraits and even verses written by not only Elizabeth but her courtiers as well. In some instances, the book offers slightly different views on her relationships than other books regarding the history of the Queen.





     Queen Elizabeth I is my favorite historical figure so I read any book I can get my hands on regarding her life. I'm always looking for books that offer different information not found in previous books that I have read. I was not disappointed. Most books don't go into that much detail for all of the members of her court. In all of the books I have read written about the Queen, they focus mainly on her relationship with Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester and Mary, Queen of Scots. And this book does take a look at those relationships but it also gives information on each of the members of her privy council, her courtiers and even her relationship with her father and explains how she interacted with them.
     I found this book very informative and easy to read. It was very well written and I would recommend it to those that are interested in Elizabethan history and the inner workings of her court. I gave this book a four out of five stars.

4 STAR

A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S