Death at Dovecote Hatch by Dorothy Cannell


T I T L E: Death at Dovecote
S E R I E S: A Florence Norris Mystery (N°2)
A U T H O R: Dorothy Cannell
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House Publishers
P U B L I S H--D A T E: July 1, 2015
I S B N: 9780727884800
Literature/Fiction (Adult); Mystery, Thriller

This is the second novel in the Florence Norris series. The setting is the peaceful village of Dovecote Hatch and the year is 1932. Just a few months prior, there had been a murder at Mullings, the estate of the wealthy Stodmarsh family. When the body of Kenneth Tenneson is found at the bottom of the stairs in his home, Bogmire, the news of another violent death makes its way through the sedate village which is still recovering from the events of the previous months. However, the coroner's inquest rules that it was an accident. The very observant housekeeper from Mullings, Florence Norris suspects that there is more to the death than meets the eye. The appearance of a second will seems to confirm her suspicions. When the document turns up it reveals Tenneson family secrets which could have devastating effects on those involved. Florence searches for the truth and attempts to put together the pieces of the mysterious puzzle in order to keep another tragedy from happening.



      When I read the description, I thought it sounded a lot like Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple in many respects. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Although, I did like the plot and the end took me by surprise, I was a little bit disappointed.
      Some of the scenes and conversations were somewhat repetitive in places and had the tendency to be a bit wordy. The character point of view was always changing from person to person. While I don't mind "head hopping" if it is written in such a manner that it is easy to follow along, here it got confusing at times. If I hadn't known from the beginning that Florence Norris was the main character it would have been hard to tell otherwise. She seemed to take a back seat to the other characters in the story.
      All in all the plot was a good one and I liked the fact that I wasn't able to figure out who the murderer was before the ending. Nothing is more aggravating than being able to predict right away "whodunit". Because of that I gave this book three stars. Had it been less wordy and had there been less "head hopping" with Florence being out in the forefront a bit more, I would have given it four stars instead.

3 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S