March 5, 2015

Disturbed Earth by E.E. Richardson


T I T L E: Disturbed Earth
S E R I E S: Ritual Crime Unit (Nº 2)
A U T H O R: E. E. Richardson
P U B L I S H E R: Rebellion; Abbadon
P U B L I S H--D A T E: April 7, 2015
I S B N: 9781781083154
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Thriller

Claire Pierce is a Detective Chief Inspector of The Ritual Crime Unit for the North Yorkshire Police in Northern England. The Unit is not only underbudgeted but also understaffed. When returns to work after being off for some time recuperating from an injury she obtained in the line of duty, she finds that she has a new Detective Inspector as well as some new staff members. DCI Pierce has her hands full from the first back with her new DI bringing in a necromancer to question murder victim, druid protestors camped outside the police station, and a test on a piece of evidence that goes slightly haywire. And that is just the beginning. There have been several robberies in which artifacts are stolen, not to mention a murder case in which the victims in a ritual. Initially, the two cases don't appear to be connected. But, soon clues begin to point to something catastrophic in the works and Pierce has to put it all together in order to stop it.




     I am a huge fan of BBC mysteries series, especially the older series such as Midsomer Murders, Inspector Morse, A Touch of Frost, and Prime Suspect. DCI Pierce reminds me a great deal of Helen Mirren as DCI Jane Tennison in Prime Suspect.
     This is the second book in this series and even though I haven't read the first book, it was written well enough that I had no issues understanding what was going on. It is on the darker side, however, so if you aren't into that kind of thing, it may not be for you. Also, remember that this is a British mystery so if you are an American reading and are not familiar with the differences between American English and British English you may not understand some of the phrases used. Having said that if you are looking for a great crime drama on the gritty darker side along with a bit of supernatural thrown in, then this is a great read.
     I thoroughly enjoyed this book and definitely recommend it. I am looking forward to reading the next book. I give this book 4 stars.


4 STAR

A M A Z O N         B A R N E S & N O B L E           G O O D R E A D S