The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

__________B O O K__R E V I E W__________

.:}Hope's Review{:.
★★★★

     I’m going to be honest, this is the hardest review I’ve written to date. This struggle for words isn’t because the book is horrible or fantastic, it is because from beginning to end, the book is so bizarre it left me in a sort of mind limbo. Like, I’m not sure what to think or what to feel. It’s freaking weird. This novel is very well written, and I thought the execution was awesome. I loved the ending. My only real gripe with this story is I had a very hard time connecting with any of the characters. In saying that, I’m not sure the reader is meant to. Overall, after much deliberation, I’m giving this book four stars. Because I love, love, creative storylines and complex characters.


.:}Angie's Review{:.
★★★

      For lack of a better word, this book is strange and I have mixed feelings about it. Oddly enough, the strangeness intrigued me and it is mostly what kept me reading until the end.
     I am a somewhat intelligent person, but I must confess that through much of the book, I was confused. Some of the things I found confusing were cleared up near the end, others were not. In fact, at times I found myself asking what the heck I was reading. There were also scenes that I found myself re-reading before I could go further.
     I am a big fan of fantasy, including the darker and creepier stuff, but there was something about this book, that just wasn't quite right.
     I had hopes that the main character, Carolyn would eventually grow on me, but, unfortunately, that didn't happen and, in fact, I didn't really like any of the characters very much. I did like Steve and Erwin more than the others, but even then I didn't find them all that likable.
     I don't want to include any spoilers, but I will say that the scene with Dresden was an emotional one, but that is all I will say about it at this time so that I don't spoil it for anyone else. It is too bad that the lions weren't in more of the book than they were.
     The idea behind the story I think was a good one, I am just not sure that it was executed in the best possible way. Having said that, I do feel that the writing itself was good.
     I am going to give this book three stars because it was so different. To be honest though, I'm not sure it is for everyone even if they like dark fantasy.


__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________



T I T L E: The Library at Mount Char
A U T H O R: Scott Hawkins
P U B L I S H E R: Crown Publishing
P U B L I S H--D A T E: June 16,2015
I S B N: 9780553418606
Sci-Fi, Fantasy

Carolyn's not so different from the other human beings around her. She's sure of it. She likes guacamole and cigarettes and steak. She knows how to use a phone. She even remembers what clothes are for. After all, she was a normal American herself, once. That was a long time ago, of course--before the time she calls "adoption day," when she and a dozen other children found themselves being raised by a man they learned to call Father. Father could do strange things. He could call light from darkness. Sometimes he raised the dead. And when he was disobeyed, the consequences were terrible. In the years since Father took her in, Carolyn hasn't gotten out much. Instead, she and her adopted siblings have been raised according to Father's ancient Pelapi customs. They've studied the books in his library and learned some of the secrets behind his equally ancient power. Sometimes, they've wondered if their cruel tutor might secretly be God. Now, Father is missing. And if God truly is dead, the only thing that matters is who will inherit his library--and with it, power over all of creation. As Carolyn gathers the tools she needs for the battle to come, fierce competitors for this prize align against her. But Carolyn can win. She's sure of it. What she doesn't realize is that her victory may come at an unacceptable price--because in becoming a God, she's forgotten a great deal about being human.

AMAZON * BARNES & NOBLES * GOODREADS * GOOGLE PLAY


*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*