Don't Turn Around by Caroline Mitchell


T I T L E: Don't Turn Around
S E R I E S: Detective Jennifer Knight(Nº 1)
A U T H O R: Caroline Mitchell
P U B L I S H E R: Bookouture
P U B L I S H--D A T E: April 24, 2015
I S B N: 9781909490970
Literature/Fiction (Adult),Mystery/Thriller
As D.C. Jennifer Knight investigates a routine stabbing in the quiet town of Haven, she is shocked at what seems like a personal message from beyond the grave. When more bodies are found, Jennifer is convinced the killings are somehow linked. What she discovers is more chilling than she could possibly imagine. The murders mirror those of the notorious Grim Reaper – from over twenty years ago. A killer her mother helped convict. Jennifer can no longer ignore the personal connection. Is there a copycat killer at work? Was the wrong man convicted? Or is there something more sinister at play …
With her mother’s terrifying legacy spiraling out of control, Jennifer must look into her own dark past in a fight not only to stop a killer – but to save herself and those she loves.



     Let me begin by saying this book delivered exactly what the description promised. Unfortunately, that is not always the case with many books and their description. However, I was not disappointed in the least with this novel. It was truly a great read and well written. It's an imaginative mix of murder mystery and paranormal thrills.
     From the beginning, I was drawn in and found myself asking, is this a copycat serial killer or could it truly be the original murderer come back from the grave somehow? Perhaps, DC Jennifer is a bit on the not so sane side with a touch of schizophrenia. Or does she truly hear voices belonging to the dead? Are her dreams messages or ramblings of someone in desperate need of psychotherapy and medications? It, however, does become evident that she does, in fact, see dead people.
     When she is given a message that there is someone close to her that she shouldn't trust, I suspected everyone she came in contact with as I tried to figure out who the untrustworthy person was. But, that is the fun of reading mysteries and thrillers. This story has lots of twists and turns, as well as scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat while you turn the page. I always love the unexpected and the ending was certainly a surprise.
     Even though Jennifer has issues, she is strong and complex which adds to the story. I am looking forward to reading what the future holds for DC Jennifer Knight. This is definitely a series that I will be keeping an eye on and can't wait to read the next installment. Kudos to Ms. Mitchell on a great debut novel.
     This book receives four stars from me and I recommend it to everyone that enjoys murder mysteries with a twist.

4 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S