April 16, 2015

The Devil's Monk by Sara Fraser


T I T L E: The Devil’s Monk
S E R I E S: Constable Thomas Potts(NÂș 6)
A U T H O R: Sara Fraser
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House Publishers
P U B L I S H--D A T E: August 1, 2015
I S B N: 9780727885029
Mystery, Thriller, Literature/Fiction (Adult)
July, 1829. When a female corpse, dressed in male clothing, is discovered lying in a haystack in the Worcestershire countryside, rumour and superstition abound. For the sighting of a man in white robes fleeing from the scene leads to suspicion that the ‘Devil’s Monk’ is responsible for the crime. According to local legend, this vengeful apparition appears at intervals to molest and kill. Constable Thomas Potts is dismissive of the rumours – but without knowing the victim’s identity, he’ll need the devil’s own luck to catch her killer. And when a second body turns up, Potts is under pressure to track down the murderer before hysteria engulfs the town.


     This historical mystery, which is set in the late 1820's, is filled with unexpected twists and turns. Not everything is what it seems. It is well written and has an unexpected ending. Everything you want in a good mystery.
     Tom Potts is an excellent character. I must admit however, I'm not overly fond of his wife. I realise that relationships and interactions with husband and wife were a bit different then, but I just don't feel she's a very likable character and doesn't seem to be a good fit for him. Other than that it was a fantastic read and I really enjoyed it.
     I recommend this book for those that love historical British mysteries. It was an enjoyable read and it has earned four stars from me.

4 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S