April 3, 2015

The Shadow Revolution by Clay Griffith & Susan Griffith


T I T L E: The Shadow Revolution
S E R I E S: Crown and Key (N° 1)
P U B L I S H E R: Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra
P U B L I S H--D A T E: June 2, 2015
I S B N: 9780345539502
Sci-Fi, Fantasy
They are the realm's last, best defense against supernatural evil. But they're going to need a lot more silver. As fog descends, obscuring the gas lamps of Victorian London, werewolves prowl the shadows of back alleys. But they have infiltrated the inner circles of upper-crust society as well. Only a handful of specially gifted practitioners are equipped to battle the beasts. Among them are the roguish Simon Archer, who conceals his powers as a spell-casting scribe behind the smooth veneer of a dashing playboy; his layabout mentor, Nick Barker, who prefers a good pub to thrilling heroics; and the self-possessed alchemist Kate Anstruther, who is equally at home in a ballroom as she is on a battlefield. After a lycanthrope targets Kate's vulnerable younger sister, the three join forces with fierce Scottish monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane—but quickly discover they're dealing with a threat far greater than anything they ever imagined.



     Fantastic! I really enjoyed reading this book. The story was mainly Urban Fantasy with a pinch of Sherlock Holmes and a splash of Steampunk. It takes place in Victorian London instead of the modern day. Those were nice touches that added creativity to make it a bit different. I found it difficult to put down. The villains were werewolves and there was no mistaking them for being anything other than the bad guys. Although, they were born weres and were not turned from a bite delivered by another werewolf and could shift at any time with no correlation to the phase of the moon. With the exception of Charlotte, of course, whom I am hoping turns up in a sequel somewhere since it's unclear as to what happened to her.
      Had I not had to work, I most likely would have finished this book in one day. It was that good and I enjoyed it that much. There were scenes that kept me on the edge of my seat while turning the pages to see what was going to happen next.
     The characters were all likable. I am glad that Kate was a strong female and not some wimpy damsel in distress. She was a bit ahead of her time as was Penny who was also excellent with her inventions.
      Though a bit of a Rogue, Simon had a great heart. Nick reminded me just a wee bit of Dr. Watson, but out of all good guys in the story, he's my least favorite. He was still likable in any case.
This was a great first book and an excellent start to what I think will be a fun series to read. I am looking forward to reading more. I give this book four stars.

4 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S