May 15, 2015

Earthrise by M.C.A. Hogarth


T I T L E: Earthrise
S E R I E S: Her Instruments (N°1)
A U T H O R: M.C.A. Hogarth
P U B L I S H E R: Studio MCAH
P U B L I S H--D A T E: April 30, 2015
I S B N: 9781484996515
SciFi, Romance
Reese Eddings has enough to do just keeping her rattletrap merchant vessel, the TMS Earthrise, profitable enough to pay food for herself and her micro-crew. So when a mysterious benefactor from her past shows up demanding she rescue a man from slavers, her first reaction is to say “NO!” And then to remember that she sort of promised to repay the loan. But she doesn’t remember signing up to tangle with pirates and slavers over a space elf prince…
Book 1 of the Her Instruments trilogy is a rollicking adventure set in the Pelted Paradox universe, and kicks off an epic space opera series where the fate of worlds hangs in the balance. Fans who enjoyed Firefly or Andromeda will likely enjoy this series.



     I wavered on this book to be honest. While I like the basic concept and the different species found in the author’s universe, I wasn’t really sold completely on the elven like race of the Eldritch. Now, let me say here that I love elves. They are my favorite literary creatures, but I’m not sure they fit into outer space. At least not for me. That may make me seem close minded but truthfully, I’m not. It just didn’t flow completely for me.
     I didn’t completely connect with Reese for some reason. Not sure if it was her negativity, or what exactly. And though I loved the fact that her crew was diversified, I couldn’t completely connect with them either.
     Don’t get me wrong, I did like this book, a lot in fact. However, I didn’t love it. I just can’t seem to put my finger on it, but I couldn’t get into it totally. Having said that, I do think it was well written and I’d be interested to read other works from this author.
     Some of the things I did like? Battles fought in outer space, especially the battle at the end of the book. And space pirates. Space pirates are always a great in a story. The plot was also good.
     As I mentioned earlier, I wavered on this book. I was torn between three and four stars. Unfortunately, since I was unable to really get into the characters, I am going to have to go with three stars. I’d be interested to see how this series develops further.

3 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S