May 12, 2015

The Undying Legion by Clay & Susan Griffith


T I T L E: The Undying Legion
S E R I E S: Crown and Key (N° 2)
P U B L I S H E R: Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra
P U B L I S H--D A T E: June 30, 2015
I S B N: 9780345540485
Urban Fantasy, Steampunk
With a flood of dark magic about to engulf Victorian London, can a handful of heroes vanquish a legion of the undead?
When monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane comes across the gruesome aftermath of a ritual murder in a London church, he enlists the help of magician-scribe Simon Archer and alchemist extraordinaire Kate Anstruther. Studying the macabre scene, they struggle to understand obscure clues in the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics carved into the victim's heart—as well as bizarre mystical allusions to the romantic poetry of William Blake. One thing is clear: Some very potent black magic is at work.
But this human sacrifice is only the first in a series of ritualized slayings. Desperate to save lives while there is still time, Simon, Kate, and Malcolm—along with gadget geek Penny Carter and Charlotte, an adolescent werewolf—track down a necromancer who is reanimating the deceased. As the team battles an unrelenting army of undead, a powerful Egyptian mummy, and monstrous serpentine demons, the necromancer proves an elusive quarry. And when the true purpose of the ritual is revealed, the gifted allies must confront a destructive force that is positively apocalyptic.




     I was so excited to be able to read this book and I was not disappointed. This book was fantastic as is this series so far. I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, quite often the second book in a series with such a great first book can be a letdown, but not so with this one. I'd have to say that this book is every bit as good if not a wee bit better than the first one.
     It starts out with thrilling action, sucks you in, then ending with nail biting action. The climatic action scene had me running through a gambit of emotions. It had me cheering, feeling relieved, feeling despair, biting my nails from the edge of my seat, shouting "No. No. NO! Not that!"
     Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down, literally. In fact, I stayed up well past my bedtime and finished this book in one sitting. I didn't even notice the time. It was just that great. So far this is one of the best Steampunk/Urban Fantasy series that I have read.
     All of the characters are very likable and have depth. I really love all of them. Admittedly, Malcolm frustrates me from time to time but with this book, it's evident that there is definitely more to him than meets the eye. Naturally, Simon and Kate are fantastic together and I adore them as main characters. They are perfectly suited as a couple. The only character that I don't really care that much for is Nick. That could change in the next book, but that remains to be seen as I still have that story to read. And I am really looking forward to that one.
     Even though this series is written by two authors, the writing is seamless and very well written. The Griffiths write wonderfully together and make a terrific duo.
     I could go on and on, but I think it's best that I stop here. This book definitely deserves a five-star rating. I can not wait to dive into the next book in this series.

5 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S