May 9, 2015

Two Bronze Pennies by Chris Nickson


T I T L E: Two Bronze Pennies
A U T H O R: Chris Nickson
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House Publishing
P U B L I S H--D A T E: August 1, 2015
I S B N: 9780727884916
Mystery, Thriller
Leeds, England, Christmas Eve, 1890. DI Tom Harper is looking forward to a well-earned rest. But it’s not to be. A young man has been found stabbed to death in the city’s poverty-stricken Jewish district, his body carefully arranged in the shape of a cross, two bronze pennies covering his eyes. Could someone be pursuing a personal vendetta against the Jews?
Harper’s investigations are hampered by the arrival of Capitaine Bertrand Muyrere of the French police, who has come to Leeds to look into the disappearance of the famous French inventor Louis Le Prince, vanished without trace after boarding a train to Paris.
With no one in the close-knit Jewish community talking to the police and with tensions rising, DI Harper realizes he’ll have to resort to more unorthodox methods in order to unmask the killer.



     Thoroughly enjoyable. This was a thrilling mystery set in Victorian England. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there were also some historical events included in this story, which made it come to life even more.
     I have always been a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and love reading Victorian Era mysteries. I was not disappointed in this story.
     Tom Harper and his wife Annabelle are both very likable characters. I found myself holding my breath for Billy Reed from the moment he took on his dangerous assignment and felt as though I was right by Tom's side as he worried for his friend's life. The scenes where he experiences intermittent deafness in one of his ears also had me biting my lip and wishing he could find a cure. Even now, I find myself hoping that in future novels something will transpire that helps him retain his hearing.
I was able to picture Victorian Leeds clearly as I read and it was as if I took a step back in time. Chris Nickson did a fantastic job with this story and I will be reading more of his books.
     An exciting read that has earned four stars from me.

4 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S