June 7, 2015

The Darkling Child by Terry Brooks

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★★

     Angie informed me after I was approved to review this book that The Darkling Child is a book in a long series of Shannara books written by Brooks. I wasn’t sure that I would be able to follow along, or even have a sense of what was really going on. In addition, there wasn’t a number of order for this book on NetGalley. (They love to torture us that way.)
     To my surprise, I never once felt lost or uninformed about the story I as I read. There were definitely parts that I would have been better informed had I read the first book, yes, but overall, this book was incredibly easy to read and understand. Actually, that is one of many things I enjoyed about this fantastic book. Even the names of places and characters are easy to sound out; a terrific, and appreciated quality in my opinion.
      From a speck of dirt, to the fluff of the clouds, you see it, as I’m certain the author did; there is no lack of description in this book - this made an awful lot of things in the novel awesome to be apart of.
     And the characters. . .
     All of them were so terrific. I mean, wow! They are written perfectly. I developed just enough attachment, and have a so opinion of them according to their role and purpose to the story. Again, I felt like my relationship with them was similar, if not exact, to the author.
     It’s hard to find stores that are written with such careful consideration, and I’m sure it has something to do with how long the stories of Shannara have been going on. I am definitely going to seek out other books by Terry Brooks with every intention of reading more of Shannara.



__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: The Darkling Child
S E R I E S: The Defenders of Shannara (NÂș 2)
A U T H O R: Terry Brooks
P U B L I S H E R: Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra
P U B L I S H--D A T E: June 6, 2015
I S B N: 9780345540799
Sci-Fi, Fantasy
After taking up his enchanted sword against the dark sorcerer Arcannen, Paxon Leah has become the sworn protector of the Druid order. Now a critical hour is at hand, as a beloved High Druid nears the end of her reign and prepares to pass from the mortal world to the one beyond. There is little time for Paxon to mourn his friend and benefactor before duty summons him. For in a distant corner of the Four Lands, the magic of the wishsong has been detected. Paxon must accompany a Druid emissary to find its source—and ensure the formidable power is not wielded by the wrong hands. But danger is already afoot in the village of Portlow. Gentle traveling minstrel Reyn Frosch possesses the uncanny gift, and curse, of the wishsong. And now his coveted abilities have captured the malevolent interest of none other than Arcannen—whose quest for power is exceeded only by his thirst for vengeance. The lone survivor of a brutal assault on a notorious pirate city, the sorcerer is determined to retaliate against the Federation's elite military guard—and use the devastating power of the wishsong as his ultimate weapon.

AMAZON * BARNES & NOBLE * GOODREADS * GOOGLE PLAY


*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*