July 29, 2015

The Society by Lilith Saintcrow

T I T L E: The Society
S E R I E S: The Society Series (NÂș 1)
A U T H O R: Lilith Saintcrow
P U B L I S H E R: Belle Books/ImaJinn Books
P U B L I S H--D A T E: July 31, 2015
I S B N: 9781610260169
Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy
Will she be the Society’s salvation...or its downfall?
The black-ops government agency called Sigma broke Justin Delgado, trained his psionic talent, and turned him into a killer. Then he escaped and joined the Society, an underground resistance movement of psions determined to use their talents to bring Sigma down. Competent, cold, and cruelly efficient, he’s the best operative the Society has, a legend among the psions who fight a shadow war against an enemy that owns the courts, the press, and the police. Feared even by his own teammates, hunted by the government, and too damaged to feel anything but clinical rage, he is utterly alone—until he meets Rowan.
When Rowan Price stumbles across Delgado’s team in an abandoned house, he is assigned to make contact with her, bring her in, and keep her alive—because Rowan is one of the most powerful psychics the resistance has ever encountered. If the government gets its hands on her, she could very well mean the downfall of the resistance, because nobody, not even Rowan, is quite sure how far her talents extend.
The Society will welcome Rowan, if she can stay alive long enough to join them. Unfortunately, there’s a traitor buried in the ranks. If the Society goes down, Rowan is at risk. God alone knows what Delgado will do to keep her safe, because Rowan is fast becoming the only thing in the world he cares about…


   I for one really enjoyed this book very much and I am extremely picky when it comes to Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy. So, for me to love this book as much as I did is really saying something. The concept was fantastic as well as the way it was executed. But, then I enjoy Lilith Saintcrow as an author, so I guess it's no big surprise.
     Admittedly, after a few chapters, I had some doubts about whether or not I would like Rowan. There were a couple of brief periods where she started to come off as wimpy and a bit whiney. For example, she looked into Delgado's head and found she could trust him because he was telling her the truth.       However, very shortly after, she had her doubts once more as if she had never even seen that he was trustworthy. I like female protagonists that are strong, decisive and not overly stubborn. Simply put, I became rather skeptical as to whether or not she would fit that bill. Thankfully, she grew tougher and is becoming a little more badass. She is beginning to grow on me.
     That brings me to Delgado. Now, he is badass. He has a lot of the characteristics that I love in male protagonists. He could have done with a little sense of humor, but I get that he is just a serious person related to his past.
     It was a little obvious who the traitor was, but I also understand why it wasn't revealed immediately. I hope that in the next book Rowan makes him pay.
     This book had me turning the pages and I was unable to put it down. In fact, I read it in one night. By the last few chapters, I was on the edge of my seat. The last chapter had me yelling no and I was not ready for it to end. I will most definitely be reading the next book. I really need to know what happens.
     I wavered on whether to give this novel four or five stars because I wasn't sure about Rowan. I decided on five because I was unable to put it down and by the end of the book I felt Rowan had grown; she was becoming the badass heroine I love to read about. Another reason I am giving this one five stars is because I found that I wanted to start on the next book immediately even though it was 1:00 a.m.


5 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S