A Perfect Curse by Shereen Vedam

T I T L E: The Perfect Curse
S E R I E S: Rue Alliance (Nº 3)
A U T H O R: Shereen Vedam
P U B L I S H E R: Belle Books/ImaJinn Books
P U B L I S H--D A T E: July 31, 2015
I S B N: 9781611946567
Paranormal Romance
Who needs a prince, when you’ve got a huntsman?
Nevara Wood is desperate to change her life. Plagued by shifting sight, which skews her normal vision and shows her disturbing visions, she’s always felt odd and unlovable. And she greatly wants to be loved—especially by Mark Dimas, the man she has hero-worshiped since the day he saved her life. Her only chance at happiness lies in breaking the curse that afflicts her—and all clues to the source of her torment point to a town in Southern Spain. Unfortunately, her every attempt to travel to that war-ravaged continent is impeded by the very man whose love she wants to win...
Mark Dimas Alvaro is the last in a line of wizards charged by his ancestor, a magical huntsman, to secretly protect Nevara's family. But Mark chafes at his role because it has cost him everyone he loves, most recently his beloved brother. He is certain that if Nevara would simply stay in England and not create any unnecessary magical waves, they could both survive for another generation. Instead, his stubborn charge’s persistent investigation into her past lands Nevara in imminent danger. Mark instantly prepares to wage a magical war to protect the woman he has sworn to protect...and has come to deeply love.
But Nevara's innocent probing has awoken an ancient evil that has held a grudge against her charmed family for three centuries. And it will do everything in its power to ensure that this princess never gets to live happily ever after…



     I requested this book because the description intrigued me. The fact that it was the third book in a series I hadn’t yet read didn’t deter me. Perhaps it should have, but most often you do get a bit of a recap throughout the books so that it is easy to follow along. And truthfully that did happen with this book. However, I found it difficult to connect with the characters. Maybe if I had followed this series from the beginning it would have been easier to do that.
     To be fair, the writing was well done. It was a great twist to the Snow White story and there was much that I did like about it. Having said that it is difficult for me to love a story when I don’t love the characters. For me they seemed to lack the depth that I look for when I read a book. I realize that Nevara and Mark knew each other when they were young, but the description of how he saved her didn’t quite cover the reason why they were so enamoured with each other from the beginning. At least from my perspective. I think I would have liked to see their relationship develop a bit more slowly before they were so head over heels for each other. I can understand a feeling of being drawn to each other quite soon, but again I didn’t read the first two books. I got the feeling from this one though that this was the first time there was contact with one another since they were very young.
     I would recommend this book to those that are looking for a different take on an old fairy tale as well as those that would like to read something other than vampires and shifters for paranormal romance. I do however suggest that you read the first two books in the series before picking this one up.

3 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S