The Humanity of Monsters

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★★★

    Wow, what a book.
     Rocked my socks!
     I can honestly say there isn’t a story in here that isn’t epic. Relentlessly, each of them takes you on a short journey with someone (or something); all of them hold onto you, making it almost an arduous task to stop reading. I read it, walked away, and then went back and read it again. My favorites (Dead Sea Fruit, The Emperor’s Old Bones, Six, Ghostweight, How To Talk To Girls At Parties, Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream, Never The Same, Mantis Wives, You Go Where It Takes You, and Theories of Pain) I read a third time. The thing is, it wasn’t just because each of these short stories are fan-fucking-tastic stories, but because my eyes were so glued to them the first time I read them, when done, I literally asked myself, “What the hell just happened?” I’m not exaggerating.
     I mean, even the Introduction to the book is great. Side note: heed its warning.
     It’s a must read. And for me, a must own. I will own this book; it will sit on my shelf, all pretty like, as soon as they print a hardcover. I may go out and buy a paperback just so I can send it to every person I know. I must infect the world with these outstanding pieces of literature.
     Thanks to anthologies like this, I’ve come to love them. I have so many authors I need to read now. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.



__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: The Humanity of Monsters
A U T H O R: Chinelo Onwualu, Kaaron Warren, Catherynne M. Valente, Gemma Files, Peter Watts, Indrapramit Das, Leah Bobet, Sofia Samatar, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Sonya Taaffe, Yoon Ha Lee, Neil Gaiman, Joe Lansdale, Rachel Swirsky, Maria Dahvana Headley, Sunny Moraine, Berit Ellingsen, Polenth Blake, Kij Johnson, Laird Barron, Alex Dally MacFarlane, Livia Llewellyn, Nathan Ballingrud, A.C. Wise, Meghan McCarron. Introduction by: Michael Matheson.
P U B L I S H E R: Diamond Book Distributors/Chizine Publications
P U B L I S H--D A T E: January 12, 2016
I S B N: 9781771483599
Dark Fantasy, Thriller

We are all of us monsters. We are none of us monsters. Through the work of twenty-six writers, emerging to award-winning and masters of their craft, The Humanity of Monsters plumbs the depths of humane monsters, monstrous humans, and the interstices between. In stories by turns surreal, sublime, brutal, and haunting, there are no easy answers to be found, no simple nor uncomplicated labels to be had. Only the surety that though there be monsters, you will name them false. And when you meet those who truly are, you will not know them.

AMAZON * BARNES & NOBLE * GOODREADS * GOOGLE PLAY


*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*