September 21, 2015

The League of Unexceptional Children by Gitty Daneshvari

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★★

     The moment I read the title of this book, I knew Laila was going to enjoy it. I was elated upon approval to read and review this book.
     “The description of the book doesn’t do it justice. It’s way cooler than what that description said, mom,” Laila told me when we finished reading it. I agree. When we read books like this, the one chapter a night rule is a real bummer. If I didn’t have that rule in place, we would have read it all in one sitting.
     You find out, rather quickly, that the unexceptionals, are actually exceptional, but in a very different way. Jonathan and Shelly are quite the pair. Shelly was by far our favorite of the duo, but we loved Jonathan too.
     Living close to Washington D.C., where the story takes place, made the book that much more enjoyable for us. The whole novel from start-to-finish was an exciting, and fun read for both Laila and I. We laughed every single chapter. She really enjoyed the "Top Secret" bits.
     As far as reading it goes, Laila would get caught on the dialog tags, which was an odd thing. At one point she asked me, “What happened to good ole’ he said-she said?” To which I had no reply. Other than that, it was easy for her to read and follow. The ending led us to believe this might be a series in the making, and both of us are excited at the thought.
      Both Laila and I agree, this book gets four stars and a big thumbs up because kid spies are cool.



__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: The League of Unexceptional Children
A U T H O R: Gitty Daneshvari
P U B L I S H E R: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
P U B L I S H--D A T E: October 20, 2015
I S B N: 9780316405706
Children’s Fiction
Are you average? Normal? Forgettable? If so, the League of Unexceptional Children is for you! This first book in a hilarious new adventure series is for anyone who's struggled to be noticed in a sea of above-average overachievers.
What is the League of Unexceptional Children? I'm glad you asked. You didn't ask? Well, you would have eventually and I hate to waste time. The League of Unexceptional Children is a covert network that uses the nation's most average, normal, and utterly unexceptional children as spies. Why the average kids? Why not the brainiacs? Or the beauty queens? Or the jocks? It's simple: People remember them. But not the unexceptionals. They are the forgotten ones. Until now!



AMAZON * BARNES & NOBLE * GOODREADS * GOOGLE PLAY


*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*