October 13, 2015

A Land Divided by K.M. Ashman

T I T L E: A Land Divided
S E R I E S: The Blood of Kings (NÂș 1)
A U T H O R: K.M. Ashman
P U B L I S H E R: Thomas & Mercer
P U B L I S H--D A T E: October 1, 2015
I S B N: 9781503945241
Historical Fiction
1081. William’s bloody conquest is over and Britain is under Norman rule. But one bastion of resistance remains: Wales. A divided land where brother fights brother and kings battle for power. The English use this to further their own ends, and while one king is tempted by an offer he cannot resist, the others wage war over long-forgotten feuds. Gruffydd ap Cynan, true heir to the kingdom of Gwynedd, is in exile across the sea. When he hears of the betrayal of the Welsh people by the imposter in his throne, Gruffydd unites with Tewdwr, a monarch deposed by the traitors, and they forge an army from the ashes of their kingdoms. But Tewdwr’s wife and daughter—the source of much of the allies’ strength—are a weakness their enemies will exploit. Betrayal, treachery and war await, but both men know they must fight to the bitter end, when the sundered lands of Wales are drenched...in the blood of kings.


     There aren't a lot of novels out there that are written about medieval Wales, whether fiction or nonfiction. That is one of the reasons that I was interested in reading this particular story. Anyone who knows me knows that I am fascinated with anything that has to do with the medieval time period. As far as my knowledge on medieval Wales goes, I would say it is limited. I do know that the country had its struggles with England just as Ireland and Scotland did. Another reason for my desire to read this particular book.
     The story was interesting and it was evident that the research had been done. I have no complaints about the writing. It was done well. The battle scenes were excellent and the intrigue did have me on the edge of my seat. I've always found intrigue and the dynamics of court, along with medieval alliances in that time period very compelling.
     Unfortunately, I thought the characters could have had a bit more development. It was hard for me to feel anything for any of them. And at times they were a bit stale. If they would have had a bit more dimension I think I would have enjoyed this book a bit more.
     I did like this story and did enjoy it to some extent. However, I didn't love it and, therefore, can only give it three stars instead of four.

3 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S