The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher

T I T L E: The Seventh Bride
A U T H O R: T. Kingfisher
P U B L I S H E R: Amazon Publishing/47 NOrth
P U B L I S H--D A T E: November 24, 2015
I S B N: 9781503949751
Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Young Rhea is a miller’s daughter of low birth, so she is understandably surprised when a mysterious nobleman, Lord Crevan, shows up on her doorstep and proposes marriage. Since commoners don’t turn down lords—no matter how sinister they may seem—Rhea is forced to agree to the engagement.
Lord Crevan demands that Rhea visit his remote manor before their wedding. Upon arrival, she discovers that not only was her betrothed married six times before, but his previous wives are all imprisoned in his enchanted castle. Determined not to share their same fate, Rhea asserts her desire for freedom. In answer, Lord Crevan gives Rhea a series of magical tasks to complete, with the threat “Come back before dawn, or else I’ll marry you.”
With time running out and each task more dangerous and bizarre than the last, Rhea must use her resourcefulness, compassion, and bravery to rally the other wives and defeat the sorcerer before he binds her to him forever.



     Not at all what I was expecting. According to the description, T. Kingfisher is the pen name used by this author when she writes for grown ups. I was expecting something a little more...well, grown up. That was not at all what I got with this book, so I was somewhat disappointed. This book really should have been categorized as YA. Now, I have nothing against Young Adult books at all. I just need to be expecting a book written for a younger audience. That was unfortunately not clear in the description. I am placing it under a YA category here, because in all reality that is truly what it is.
     I was unable to connect with the fifteen year old protagonist. That is not to say that a fifteen year old reader wouldn’t be able to do so, and in fact, I think this would be a fantastic book for someone of that age group or even younger.
     I think the writing was well done, albeit for a younger audience and the premise a great one. I would have loved this book if it had been written with a more grown up flare, so I am really disappointed that it was not.
     Would I recommend this book? Yes, indeed I would but only to those adults expecting a young adult novel and of course, to young adult readers. I believe teenage girls will love this book. It just wasn’t for me.
     However, I am giving it three stars and not less because as I mentioned earlier I do think the writing was well done and it is a great plot. I was somewhat disappointed so unfortunately, I don’t feel I can give it higher than that because I had a hard time relating to the main character and the fact that it was not at all the grown up book I thought I was going to be reading.

3 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S