January 18, 2016

Dead Before Dying by Kerry Schafer


T I T L E: Dead Before Dying
A U T H O R: Kerry Schafer
P U B L I S H E R: Diversion Books
P U B L I S H--D A T E: February 9, 2016
I S B N: 9781626819276
Urban Fantasy, Mystery,Thriller

In this supernatural thriller, shot through with biting wit, Maureen Keslyn checks herself in to Shadow Valley Manor to recuperate and rehabilitate from her last job. There, she runs afoul of the stern director and makes friends with some of the other residents, mostly older, all harboring either a secret or a grudge. With secrets of her own, like why she has her own Federal Agent checking up on her, and how she injured herself in the first place, Maureen fits right in, even as she sticks out like a thorn.
But Shadow Valley isn’t just for rest―Maureen is working undercover, seeking to find and eradicate whatever forces are picking off the residents (and staff) at a grisly clip. With her resources dwindling one death at a time, and unnatural forces seething to rise up once more, Maureen’s experience fighting the supernatural will be her only hope to destroy a clever and powerful evil―and her only chance at surviving it. She'll need people as paranoid as she is--from the sheriff, to the undertaker's daughter, to a cook whose knife skills in the kitchen could prove deadly out of it--if she is going to bring rest to the weary, and peace to the dead…



     Let me begin by saying that this was definitely different. When I read the description above I pictured a rehab facility where people go to recover from injuries and to receive intensive physical therapy. And after all the main character, Maureen, had been injured. What I got was not a rehab facility, but a retirement home instead. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against older people, I am after all no spring chicken myself. Although, I am in no way, shape or form ready for a retirement home. Far from it, but I do find it hard to believe that a woman close to retirement would still be kicking paranormal ass as if she’s 25.
     Since, I am mentioning the main character in the paragraph above, let’s go ahead and talk about her shall we? I didn’t really connect with her. It has been much easier for me to connect with female protagonists that are in their late twenties, early thirties than with Maureen. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, I’m not the age for retirement. Still in all I am no longer 25 or 30 either. I didn’t really like her. In fact, I didn’t really like any of the characters, except Sophie and she was a teenager. And really, a vampire that is in his 90s and wears dentures with fangs? I know that might be humorous to some but to me it was just wrong. I guess you could say that this book was most certainly not my cup of tea.
     The story wasn’t horrible and I did like it in some ways. I have to admit also that the plot was unique and the writing was very well done. So, I’m going to give this one three stars, not two but I also can’t give it four stars because I just didn’t like it well enough. It just wasn’t for me.


3 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S