January 22, 2016

Skin Like Silver by Chris Nickson

T I T L E: Skin Like Silver
S E R I E S: Tom Harper Mysteries (NÂș 3)
A U T H O R: Chris Nickson
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House
P U B L I S H--D A T E: March 1, 2016
I S B N: 9780727885708
Historical Mystery
The third intriguing historical mystery to feature Detective Inspector Tom Harper
Leeds, England. October, 1891. An unclaimed parcel at the Central Post Office is discovered to contain the decomposing body of a baby boy. It’s a gruesome case for DI Tom Harper. Then a fire during the night destroys half the railway station. The next day a woman’s body is found in the rubble. But Catherine Carr didn’t die in the blaze: she’d been stabbed to death – and Harper has to find her killer.
The estranged wife of a wealthy industrialist, Catherine had been involved with the Leeds Suffragist Society, demanding votes for women, the same organization for which Harper’s wife Annabelle has just become a speaker. Were Catherine’s politics the cause of her death? Or is the husband she abandoned behind it? But when her brother escapes from the asylum and steals a shotgun, Harper has to race to find the answers.



     An engaging mystery. I really do like this series so far. If you haven’t read any of these books before, don’t let that stop you from picking up any one of them. It is still easy to follow along and keep up even if you haven’t read them previously. They could each be stand alone novels.
As in all of the books, the characters are well developed and the plot well executed. The writing is excellent. I love Tom and Annabelle, they are well suited for each other. The mystery was such that it kept me guessing right up to the end. I found myself not really wanting to put it down once I started reading.
     I highly recommend this book for those that love a good Victorian mystery. In fact, I recommend the whole series. I have to give this one five stars, it’s really that good.


5 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S