January 27, 2016

Soft Summer Blood by Peter Helton


T I T L E: Soft Summer Blood
S E R I E S: Liam McLusky Mysteries (NÂș 4)
A U T H O R: Peter Helton
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House Publishers
P U B L I S H--D A T E: April 1, 2016
I S B N: 9780727885777
Mystery

A seemingly open-and-shut case becomes increasingly complicated for Detective Inspector Liam McLusky in this intriguing police procedural.
It all seemed so simple: a murder; an obvious suspect; a shaky alibi: DI McLusky never had it so good. Until a second killing challenges all his earlier assumptions. With every new piece of evidence McLusky brings to light, the case becomes more complicated. Does it have its roots in a disappearance eighteen years earlier, or is it firmly based in the present?
Meanwhile, DI Kat Fairfield and DS Jack Sorbie are tasked with finding the daughter of a prominent Italian politician, who has disappeared while on a student exchange programme at Bristol University. Neither is overjoyed to be lumbered with a routine missing person’s case while McLusky heads a high-profile murder investigation. Until they find a dead body of their own…



     This is the first Liam McLusky mystery that I’ve read and I really liked it. I do have to admit though that it took me a bit to warm up to Liam, and I can’t quite put my finger on the reason why. As I read, I began to see that he was a bit more complex with more depth than I initially thought. I did eventually begin to like him and found him to be a fascinating character.
     This book is well written with interesting twists and turns as well as an unexpected ending. It has all of the elements that make a great mystery. There were also references to the board game “Clue” which in some novels of this nature can have the tendency to be cheesy and overdone. However, that was not the case in this one. They were tastefully done and made me chuckle.
     For those of you that enjoy a good British Police Procedural mystery, I recommend that you pick this one up. I’m interested to see where the next case takes DI McLusky.



4 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S