Green Eye by Vena Cork

T I T L E: Green Eye
S E R I E S:  Rosa Thorn(Nº 3)
A U T H O R: Vena Cork
P U B L I S H E R: Endeavour Books
P U B L I S H--D A T E: February 6, 2016
I S B N: 9780755324084
Mysteries


Danny Thorn has enrolled in Billings College, Cambridge.
After the tragic events of his unsettling past, including the death of his father, Danny was happy to blend in at university.
But, his involvement in a production of Othello opposite the beguiling Stella, sees Danny drawn into the hedonistic lifestyle of university.
On the surface it may seem enviable but right now, Danny can see little to be jealous of.
While Stella doesn't seem to be interested in him, his ex, Julie, won't leave him alone.
But as the term progresses, getting a date for the May ball will be the least of his worries.
A rapist, who's been preying on female students for months, is still at large, and the Othello cast are not beyond his reach.
A potentially deadly case of the green-eyed monster, jealousy, is about to rear its ugly head, and Danny may just find himself unwittingly caught in the middle.
All too soon Danny finds the May week, the height of the Cambridge social calendar, spirals into terror, chaos and murder.


I will start by saying that this book did hold my attention to a certain degree, but unfortunately, not completely. There were times that I actually had to force myself to keep reading and get through it because the story was moving too slowly and bordered on boring. Those instances occurred more frequently than I would have liked. Since I thought that the storyline held so much potential, I muddled through the difficult parts in hopes that it would improve. Unfortunately, it fell short of what it could have been. So much more could have been done with this plot and often felt forced.

I also became confused quite a lot because the point of view switched without warning, literally from one paragraph to the next. Not only did it switch from character to character but from third person to first person as well. I wish the author would have decided on one or the other, then spun the tale from there. There was never any chance to really get to know the characters when written in this manner. They felt flat and uninteresting. I believe some of them had more potential but weren't really given the chance to develop as they could have.

I must also add that in spite of this, I did like the ending because it took a twist that was a bit surprising. I will give this one an "A" for effort since I did like the ending as well as the premise for the book even though it could have been executed better than it was. It also held my interest enough to earn three stars.




3 STAR


A M A Z O N           B A R N E S & N O B L E           G O O D R E A D S