February 12, 2016

The Death House by Sarah Pinborough

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★★

 So wow. Where to begin?
     This novel about children of various ages had me weary to begin. I don't normally read book about kids, and I most definitely stay clear books about sick children. But this novel came highly recommended by a good friend of mine, one whose taste I trust. And while it took me eight to ten chapters to really get into, I'm glad I stuck with it.
     Eventually I forgot I was reading from a young teenage boys pov, because page after page this novel hits you with a ton of emotion, from a lot of great little characters.
     Let me repeat that and say it more clearly; there is a TON of BIG emotions in this novel.
     Also, Toby's vocabulary would rival my own pirate mouth. But it suits him, to the very last page. There were a few places in the book that felt a little sluggish, but the next chapter makes it up, and then about halfway through the book, it's boom time, and it was from that point on that I couldn't put it down. When I reached the end, I was devastated and sad. Sad because it was over, devastated because the ending was perfect.


__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: The Death House
A U T H O R: Sarah Pinborough
P U B L I S H E R: Titan Books
P U B L I S H--D A T E: September 1, 2015
I S B N: 9781473202320
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Literature fiction (adult)

Taken from his family, Toby now lives in the Death House: an out-of-time existence far from the modern world, where he, and the others who live there, are studied by Matron and her team of nurses. They're looking for any sign of sickness. Any sign of their wards changing. Any sign that it's time to take them to the sanatorium.
No one returns from the sanatorium.
Withdrawn from his house-mates and living in his memories of the past, Toby spends his days fighting his fear. But then a new arrival in the house shatters the fragile peace, and everything changes.
Because everybody dies. It's how you choose to live that counts.


AMAZON  * BARNES & NOBLE * GOODREADS