The Silence of Stones by Jeri Westerson

T I T L E: The Silence of Stones
S E R I E S: A Crispin Guest Noir (Nº 8)
A U T H O R: Jeri Westerson
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House Publishers
P U B L I S H--D A T E: February 1, 2016
I S B N: 978072885623
Historical Mystery

A medieval mystery featuring disgraced knight Crispin Guest
London, 1388. When the mythical Stone of Destiny disappears from the throne of England during mass in Westminster Abbey, the populace takes it as a sign to side with King Richard II’s rebellious barons. The last thing the king needs is for his authority to be put in question, especially after his army suffers a crushing defeat against a Scottish uprising.
Desperate, Richard calls in Crispin Guest to find the missing stone. And to ensure that he will do the deed, the king imprisons Jack Tucker and orders Crispin to find the stone before Parliament convenes in three days' time - or Jack will hang for treason.



     A great mystery and my first introduction to Crispin Guest, a medieval knight turned detective, or tracker as he is referred to in the story. Even though I haven’t read previous books in this series I found it quite easy to follow along and was never confused about who was who or what was going on. This could easily be read as a stand alone novel. After reading this book, I believe I will be reading more Crispin Guest mysteries.
     The premise for this one was unique and though it did contain a wee bit of murder as most mysteries do, that wasn’t what had Crispin running all over London and Westminster. While those murders were connected, the main mystery was the missing Stone of Scone, a real life artifact taken from Scotland by King Edward I and placed beneath the seat of the coronation chair which is housed in Westminster Abbey.
     I found all the characters likable, especially Crispin and Jack, his squire in training. There were real life characters involved as well which I also enjoyed. The author did a great job bringing them to life.
     I recommend this one for those that readers that like medieval and historical mysteries. It was a fun read and as mentioned earlier I will be reading more of Crispin Guest.

4 STAR


A M A Z O N          B A R N E S & N O B L E          G O O D R E A D S