The Devourers by Indra Das

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★★

     This book was an interesting and unique read for me. I’m not much into werewolves, of any type, however, this isn’t really a werewolf story, at least not in the sense I’m used to. They are not the only characters either. There is a rack of different fantasy through the pages of this book. It’s deep, thought provoking, dark, and even a bit gory. The writing is phenomenal, and the tale (overall) is very simple, but it’s not a fast read, at least it wasn’t for me.
     I finished this book a month ago, but have been taking some time to try to think of how I’m going to rate it. At first, I was going to give it three stars because while it is a good book, it’s just not my cup of tea. There is a lot going on this book, a lot of social topics, a lot of strange fiction, and a lot of everything else.
     Now, a month later, I realize that I have to give this book four stars. I think of it randomly – certain scenes, certain emotion, and certain characters have left a residual presence behind. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a heavy, vivid, intense fantasy. Someone who is looking for something different.


__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: The Devourers
A U T H O R: Indra Das
P U B L I S H E R:Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine/Del Rey
P U B L I S H -- D A T E: July 12, 2016
I S B N: 9781101967515
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Dark Fantasy


On a cool evening in Kolkata, India, beneath a full moon, as the whirling rhythms of traveling musicians fill the night, college professor Alok encounters a mysterious stranger with a bizarre confession and an extraordinary story. Tantalized by the man's unfinished tale, Alok will do anything to hear its completion. So Alok agrees, at the stranger's behest, to transcribe a collection of battered notebooks, weathered parchments, and once-living skins. From these documents spills the chronicle of a race of people at once more than human yet kin to beasts, ruled by instincts and desires blood-deep and ages-old. The tale features a rough wanderer in seventeenth-century Mughal India who finds himself irrevocably drawn to a defiant woman—and destined to be torn asunder by two clashing worlds. With every passing chapter of beauty and brutality, Alok's interest in the stranger grows and evolves into something darker and more urgent. Shifting dreamlike between present and past with intoxicating language, visceral action, compelling characters, and stark emotion, The Devourers offers a reading experience quite unlike any other novel.


AMAZON * BARNES & NOBLE * GOODREADS * GOOGLE PLAY


*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*