Abomination by Gary Whitta


T I T L E: Abomination
A U T H O R: Gary Whitta
P U B L I S H E R: Inkshares
P U B L I S H--D A T E: July 30, 2015
I S B N: 9781941758335
Sci-Fi, Fantasy

Abomination takes place in the ninth century England during the reign of King Alfred the Great. Vikings are determined to conquer and rule England, and Alfred is determined to keep them from doing so. He will do whatever it takes to keep his kingdom free from the Norse invaders, almost. While battling the Vikings, ancient Roman scrolls are discovered. These texts are sent to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Aethelred, for translation. When he begins his work, he uncovers secrets long forgotten and dark magic better left alone. However, he convinces the king that if he is allowed to experiment with this knowledge that he can use it to benefit England then once and for all defeating the Vikings in their quest to conquer the country. Alfred has reservations, but his counselors advise him to give Aethelred the chance if it means turning the tide against the Norse. Though, not truly convinced that it is a good idea he does what they ask. As it turns out, the king's apprehensions were well founded. Aethelred creates monsters from common animals, but he crosses the line even further when his experiments are conducted on men, which produce terrifying creatures from nightmares. When Alfred attempts to put a halt to the Archbishop's experiments and confine him to the tower, Aethelred escapes. Soon, Wulfric, the king's close friend and best knight is charged with the duty of tracking down the now insane priest and killing the monsters he created. But, unfortunately, when Wulfric catches his prey, his own personal nightmare just begins.




     I was drawn to this book because, by the description it contained both history and fantasy. Two of the genres I love to read.
     However, I must admit when I read the first chapter I wasn't sure if it was quite what I was looking for. I am glad I kept reading. It just got better and better.
     The monsters are not the creatures that you find in most stories being written right now, which I find refreshing. No vampires or werewolves, and the only shifter is not a shifter in the traditional sense. And their creator is not who you would be expecting to create such monstrosities. I found it ironic that the Archbishop of Canterbury who was the head of the church in England is the very one who used black magic during a time that those that did so were burned at the stake.
      This story gave new meaning to the word "dark" in the term "Dark Ages". The book has everything from history, swordfights, hand to hand combat, magic, terrifying monsters, and suspense. I could go on and on. It was very well written and it was difficult to put it down.
      This book is an exciting read and I highly recommend it for those who love all the things I mentioned above. I give this book FOUR AND A HALF STARS.

4 STAR





0