Victory of the Hawk by Angela Highland


T I T L E: Victory of the Hawk
S E R I E S: Rebels of Adalonia (N°1)
A U T H O R: Angela Highland
P U B L I S H E R: Carina Press
P U B L I S H--D A T E: April 6, 2015
I S B N: 9781426899690
Sci-Fi, Fantasy
There is war in Adalonia. The only hope for the rebels both human and elven is a sword named Moonshadow. It was forged centuries ago by the elves against one of their own who is now known as Anreulag, who is the “Voice of the Gods.” Julian, an assassin is in love with Faanshi, and elven healer whom he freed from enslavement by the humans. He has yet to admit it to himself let alone to her. And he fears that she and Kestar share a deep connection, although that connection is very different than he realizes. Faanshi’s connection to Kestar is born of her magic and their shared elven blood. She knows his every thought and desire, but she thinks of him as she would a brother. She is in love with Julian. Kestar is a fugitive although he was once in the service to the Anreulag as a Knight of the Hawk. And he recently discovered that he has elven blood running through his veins. Which is ironic since he was sworn to hunt them in his duty. He may be the only answer to saving everyone from the newly freed and quite insane Voice of the Gods.



      Since this book was the third in a trilogy, it may have been helpful if I’d read the preceding two books. In the beginning, it was difficult to understand what was happening and just who all the characters were. However, there was no description when I requested this book. It is definitely not a stand alone book. At first I was quite frustrated and wasn’t sure that I would like the book. It did get better as I read though.
     I have to admit that I am a huge JRR Tolkien fan and he was the first fantasy author that I had ever read which was back when I was a very young teenager. My vision of elves stems from reading his stories. This author has an entirely different vision. It took some getting used to. These elves did eventually grow on me and I did begin to like the story as I continued to read.
      The fact that the Anreulag was an elf and used by her captors against her own people was an interesting concept, but then I’m a huge fan of irony as well.
     I didn’t love the story, but I did like it. In all fairness though, I must say that it could be related to the fact that I started the trilogy with the third book instead of the first one. I give this book three stars.

3 STAR


0