Secret World by M.J. Trow


T I T L E: Secret World
S E R I E S: A Tudor Mystery featuring Christopher Marlowe
A U T H O R: M.J. Trow
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House/Creme de la Crime
P U B L I S H--D A T E: September 1, 2015
I S B N: 9781780290751
Mystery
Christopher Marlowe tackles his most baffling case yet.
June, 1589. Now a feted poet and playwright, Kit Marlowe is visiting his family in Canterbury. But it’s not the happy homecoming he had hoped for. A long-standing family friend has been found dead in her bed, killed by several blows to the head. Convinced that the wrong person has been found guilty of the crime, Marlowe determines to uncover the truth.
What did the dead woman mean when she spoke of ‘owning the whole world’? If Marlowe could discover what she had in her possession, he would be one step closer to catching her killer. And why is the Queen’s spymaster, Sir Francis Walsingham, taking such an interest in the investigation?



     Since Elizabethan era is one of my favorite historical periods, I couldn't pass this one up. I'm glad I didn't because I was not disappointed. It was a very enjoyable read. This book is the first that I have read in this series. I will be reading more.
     All of the politics and intrigue during that time has always fascinated me. Especially when it comes to Walsingham, the queen's spymaster. I like the fact that Marlowe is not just a playwright but an operative as well. I know in real life it has been suspected that Kit was working for Sir Francis. I think it's fantastic that M.J. Trow has created such a great series based on that speculation.
     Christopher Marlowe is very likable in this story. I enjoyed his interactions with his mother and sisters. I also enjoyed Walsingham's character along with Faunts. Well written with plenty of action including some interesting twists throughout. It held my attention from beginning to end.
     As I mentioned above, I will be reading more from this series. This book was only 18 chapters, but it was a great short read.


4 STAR


0