Blood Countess by Andrie Codrescu

T I T L E: Blood Countess
A U T H O R: Andrei Codrescu
P U B L I S H E R: Open Road Integrated Media
P U B L I S H--D A T E: July 21, 2015
I S B N: 9781504015264
Literature/Fiction (Adult), Historical Fiction
A Hungarian-American journalist confronts the beauty and terror of his aristocratic heritage in this suspenseful chronicle of murder and eroticism
Turmoil reigns in post-Soviet Hungary when journalist Drake Bathory-Kereshtur returns from America to grapple with his family history. He's haunted by the legacy of his ancestor, the notorious sixteenth-century Countess Elizabeth Bathory, who is said to have murdered more than 650 young virgins and bathed in their blood to preserve her youth. Interweaving past and present, The Blood Countess tells the stories of Elizabeth's debauched and murderous reign and Drake's fascination with the eternal clashes of faith and power, violence and beauty. Codrescu traces the captivating origins of the countess's obsessions in tandem with the emerging political fervor of the reporter, building the narratives into an unforgettable, bloody crescendo.



     My reason for requesting this book was because there hasn’t been a lot written about Elizabeth Bathory. I find her a fascinating historical figure, so when I see a book written about her I read it. While this novel was not all that I had hoped for, it wasn’t awful. I did like it, and I did finish it. It was like one of those incidents when something really bad happens and you know you should look away but can't.
      Since the story switched back and forth between the Countess’ time and modern day, I found I had to force myself not to skim through Drake’s parts. His story just didn’t excite me and was somewhat boring. I just couldn’t get into the modern day character, he was not interesting at all. I think this book would have been much better by omitting present time and just keeping with the past.
     Codrescu is not a bad writer. I just didn't care for the way this was executed. However, since I did like some of the parts written about Elizabeth Bathory, I am giving it three stars.

3 STAR


0