Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb


T I T L E: Fool’s Quest
S E R I E S: Fitz and Fool Trilogy(Nº 2)
A U T H O R: Robin Hobb
P U B L I S H E R: Random House Publishing Group/Del Rey/Spectra
P U B L I S H--D A T E: August 11, 2015
I S B N: 9780553392920
Fantasy
The harrowing adventures of FitzChivalry Farseer and his enigmatic friend the Fool continue in Robin Hobb's triumphant follow-up to Fool's Assassin. But Fool's Quest is more than just a sequel. With the artistry and imagination her fans have come to expect, Hobb builds masterfully on all that has gone before, revealing devastating secrets and shocking conspiracies that cast a dark shadow over the history of Fitz and his world—a shadow that now stretches to darken all future hope. Long ago, Fitz and the Fool changed the world, bringing back the magic of dragons and securing both the Farseer succession and the stability of the kingdom. Or so they thought. But now the Fool is near death, maimed by mysterious pale-skinned figures whose plans for world domination hinge upon the powers the Fool may share with Fitz's own daughter. Distracted by the Fool's perilous health, and swept up against his will in the intrigues of the royal court, Fitz lets down his guard . . . and in a horrible instant, his world is undone and his beloved daughter stolen away by those who would use her as they had once sought to use the Fool—as a weapon. But FitzChivalry Farseer is not without weapons of his own. An ancient magic still lives in his veins. And though he may have let his skills as royal assassin diminish over the years, such things, once learned, are not so easily forgotten. Now enemies and friends alike are about to learn that nothing is more dangerous than a man who has nothing left to lose.



     This book is fantastic, which was really no surprise. Fans of Robin Hobb will not be disappointed. I know I wasn't.
     As expected this book is filled with lots of page-turning edge of your seat moments. Some scenes brought tears to my eyes, some made me smile. By the time I finished reading the last page I was so completely ensnared that I shouted "No!" when I realized there was no more to read until the next book comes out. I will be impatiently waiting for book number 3. I really MUST know what happens.
I really love Fitz, always have actually and not just because he is the main character. He has so much depth and Robin Hobb does such a fantastic job writing him that you can't help but feel every emotion as though you were right there with him.
     I loved Fleeter also, so I was a bit disappointed with that outcome. I hope to see more of Motley in the next book and hope that she fares well. I would be devastated if anything happened to her. In fact, I really love most of the characters.
     I do have to admit, however, that I am not a fan of Fool. I have never really liked him. He is well written, complex and has a lot of depth. But, even though he is all of those things, I still don't like him. I feel he is too selfish and self-centered for my taste in spite of his complex personality. He may profess to love Fitz, but he never really seems to take into account how Fitz feels unless it benefits him in some way. I may be reading him wrong, but that is how I perceive him. For instance, it didn't seem to affect him that Fitz had lost a child until he felt that the child was his in some way as well. Only then did he seem to understand his friend's feelings, although I don't think he really understood completely.
     In my humble opinion, making one feel something for the characters in the story even if it's great dislike is the mark of a great author. Not all authors can pull that off. In some stories by written by other writers, I don't like the characters because they are either poorly written, too immature, spoiled, whiney, selfish or just plain one dimensional. That is not the case here or with any of Robin Hobb's novels. She does a wonderful job making you feel something one way or another.
     This book is very well written and spectacularly executed even though it took me longer to read than I originally anticipated. I must mention that is in no way because it didn't flow, it did. Very well in fact. It seemed a bit long, but it was worth it. As mentioned above I will be keeping my eye out for the next installment in this series.

4 STAR



0