Muirwood: The Lost Abbey by Jeff Wheeler, Matt Sutrges, Dave Justus, and Alex Sheikman

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★

     This is the first of five-part graphic series in the Jeff Wheeler’s Muirwood story line. I didn’t know until I dug a little further that this runs along a series of books he has published. While I don’t feel I needed to read them to understand what was going on in this graphic novel, I did get the impression that the world isn’t as small as what I was seeing. Just by the small text on the first page, I understood that there was much more. I thought that was cool, and exciting, because now I have a series to hunt down.
     There was a ton of inner dialogue in this comic, but I didn’t feel it took from the story. It was nice to read. Sometimes it takes a couple of comic before you really understand the main character/s, definitely not the case with the princess. It's easy to tell (minus the bad to the bone cover) she is meant for this epic, life-altering quest.
     Most of the detail in the art is in the scenery, and not consistent; some of the panels seemed unfinished, while others seemed a bit over done.
     Overall, this was a good first read that leads you to a big world. I’ll be reading more Muirwood soon, and intend thus far to keep up with this graphic novel series.



__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: Muirwood: The Lost Abbey (Nº 1)
A U T H O R: Jeff Wheeler, Matt Sturges, Dave Justus, Alex Sheikman
P U B L I S H E R: Jet City Comics
P U B L I S H--D A T E: August 26, 2015
I S B N: 9781503935068
Fantasy, Young Adult, Comic/Graphic Novel
Told in graphic novel form, Muirwood: The Lost Abbey introduces an all-new chapter in Jeff Wheeler’s Muirwood universe.
Maia, the daughter of the king of Comoros, has been banished, her rank and station taken away. Although magic is forbidden of women in her world, Maia secretly learned...and now her desperate father has sent her on a dangerous quest to save their kingdom. Protected by a hired killer, Maia voyages to another realm—the cursed shores of Dahomey, where an ancient Blight has destroyed all the inhabitants. Maia believes she can restore the deadly lands by using her magic medallion, but if she’s discovered wielding her clandestine power, she will most certainly be hunted down and killed.

*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*