Recalled to Death by Priscilla Masters

T I T L E: Recalled to Death
S E R I E S: Martha Gunn Police Procedural (Nº 6)
A U T H O R: Priscilla Masters
P U B L I S H E R: Severn House Publishers
P U B L I S H--D A T E: October 1, 2015
I S B N: 9780727885272
Mystery
Coroner Martha Gunn is baffled by the discovery of an unidentified body in the ruins of a local beauty spot. On a bright spring morning, John Hyde opens the gates to the grounds of Moreton Corbet Castle, a local medieval ruin, and discovers the body of a homeless man with his throat slashed. Detective Inspector Alex Randall and his team soon face some disturbing questions: was this a random attack, or does someone have a vendetta against the homeless? For coroner Martha Gunn, establishing the man’s identity is essential, but there are no clues . . . Who is he? What was he doing in the grounds of a Shropshire beauty spot?
As the mystery deepens, the need for answers becomes increasingly important. Can Martha and Alex solve the puzzle?



     This was a very interesting read. With little to no clues at all when a homeless man is found dead in the ruins of a castle, it was interesting to see how the police were able to discover who he was and what exactly happened to him. It was not so cut and dry so they did not have an easy time of it, which made it seem more realistic.
     The characters were good and had depth as well as dimension. I don't mind a story having multiple points of view, however, I think there were a bit too many in this one. In my opinion, it would have been better with only those of Alex and Martha. And I think also, I would have liked to see a bit more of Martha. Mostly we see Alex. I understand that it was necessary in this particular case to see everything that went into solving this difficult case, but a bit more of Martha would still have been nice.
     It was good to find out a little more about Alex, although some revelations were slightly surprising. I would like to see more of how the relationship between Martha and Alex develops as well as how they navigate the hurdles that seem to have been thrown in their way.
     Though this account was very detailed, I felt I had to keep reading because I really wanted to find out who this murdered man was and why someone would want to kill him. A great read and one that I would recommend.

4 STAR


0