The Demon's Librarian by Lilith Saintcrow

T I T L E: The Demon’s Librarian
A U T H O R: Lilith Saintcrow
P U B L I S H E R: BelleBooks/ImaJinn Books
P U B L I S H--D A T E: July 31, 2015
I S B N: 9781610260084
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
It’s not just another day at the library...
When demons are preying on schoolchildren in her city, Francesca Barnes does what any red-blooded librarian would do—she does some research and goes hunting. But the books she finds in a secret cache don't tell her the whole story. Chess has no idea what she's just stepped into—or just how special she really is...
Orion (Ryan) is Drakul, part demon, and a loyal servant of the Order. He doesn't expect a motorcycle-riding librarian to be messing around with demonic forces, and he doesn't expect her to smell so damn good. But Ryan's got bigger problems. His partner has disappeared, and the forces of Darkness are rising. Now Chess is Ryan's only hope of finding his partner, and Ryan is Chess's only hope of survival, because the demons now know Chess exists—and that she is the heir to a long-lost power that could push back their dark tide.
If Ryan can keep her alive long enough, she just might be the key to destroying the demons completely. But Ryan doesn't know he's been betrayed by the very Order he serves. And if Chess does, by some miracle, survive, he won't ever be able to touch her again…



     Once again this is another great book by Lilith Saintcrow. This was a fun read. Let me start by pointing out the things I liked about this story.
     The concept was a great one. I mean really, a demon hunting librarian how badass is that? I could picture the library in my head and thought it would be a pretty cool place, especially with Chess' hidden library in the basement where her collection of books containing magic and demon hunting tips were hidden. There was also some fast paced action, so you can't go wrong there either.
     Now, let's talk about the characters a bit. Chess or Francesca is the librarian that hunts demons. While I liked her, I didn't love her and here's why. In my opinion, she contradicted herself a lot of the time. In the beginning, she made a magic knife that alerted her when demons were near and she used it to slay a demon on her own in the sewers of the city. Then a few scenes later she rushed out in her pajamas to defend Ryan whom she didn't know yet from a demon. I was thinking at that time that she was a heroine that was pretty tough and brave. However, she disappointed me from time to time in later scenes where demons were involved. She fainted, cried and just plain went into hysterics when she should have been showing the courage she had initially. It was also annoying when she seemed to take Ryan at his word then suddenly she didn't. I was also left with questions about why she was a "potential". I wanted to know where she inherited that from. Was it from her mother who perhaps didn't know that she herself was more than human or did she inherit from her father? I think I would have liked that explained a bit more. But, I was happy to see that she finally grew a pair and stood up to the head of the Order where Ryan was concerned. I just wish she would have reached her potential a bit sooner in the story.
     This brings me to Ryan. For the most part, I really liked him a lot. I thought he was a great male protagonist. Although, he seemed slightly contradictory as well. His protective instincts were kind of questionable at times. I wasn't sure how having thoughts of throwing Chess on her bed and taking what he wanted was protective. But, that is my only complaint regarding him. Thankfully, he only mentioned that once or twice and never voiced it out loud, so his other qualities made it easier to overlook that bit, especially since he never acted on it.
     All in all, I thought it was a fast fun read and I enjoyed it a lot. I would have liked to read more but unfortunately, this was a stand alone novel. It would make a good series and one that I would definitely read. I am giving this book four stars, though, because the contradictions in Chess annoyed enough that I can't really give it five.

4 STAR


0