The Veil by Chloe Neill

H O P E ' S    R E V I E W:
★★★

     This was my first Chloe Neill book. I’ve heard loads about this author, but I’ve never managed to catch her at the beginning of a series. I love paranormal. While it’s not my go-to genre, when I come across a good paranormal book (series or not) it makes me happy.
     I’m glad I decided to give Chloe a chance. While there was nothing in this book that wowed me, or stood out from others alike, I did enjoy it. The characters are strong, and there wasn’t really one that I didn’t like or felt needed any more development than they were given (since it’s a series and all). The story is told in Claire’s POV, but none of the others are left out; you get a clear understanding of all the characters. It’s a very well executed first person. And thank Liam, because as I’ve stated many times before, first person is not my favorite.
     It was easy to read and everything was very understandable. I thought the pace was a bit slow, but it is the first book, and there is character development, and build, and past lead. Now that I think about it, I guess it wasn’t too slow.
     I can only give it three stars, because I didn’t love it, however, I will keep up with this series. I am officially a “Devil’s Isle” reader.

A N G I E ' S   R E V I E W:
★★★★

     I have been a Chloe Neill fan since reading the first book of her Chicagoland Vampire Series. Even though I haven't read any of her other works, I was excited when I learned that she was coming out with a new series and I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. I was not disappointed. I loved it.
     The world that she built was vastly different from that of her Chicagoland series. Sometimes authors have a difficult time pulling that off when they start new works. Not so with Ms. Neill. The characters were developed well and very likable, especially Liam and Claire. I was so happy to see that Claire was not a wimpy female at all and not an idiot. That is another reason I like to read her books. Her female leads are always kick ass.
     I found this to be a great read with some action and a little touch of suspense, although it did start out just a bit slow in the beginning. It did, however, pick up later on. I am interested in seeing what plays out in the next book of this series.
     I am giving this one four stars.



__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: The Veil
S E R I E S: Devil’s Isle (Nº 1)
A U T H O R: Chloe Neill
P U B L I S H E R: Penguin / NAL
P U B L I S H--D A T E: August 4, 2015
I S B N: 9780451473349
Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Seven years ago, the Veil that separates humanity from what lies beyond was torn apart, and New Orleans was engulfed in a supernatural war. Now, those with paranormal powers have been confined in a walled community that humans call the District. Those who live there call it Devil's Isle.
Claire Connolly is a good girl with a dangerous secret: she’s a Sensitive, a human endowed with magic that seeped through the Veil. Claire knows that revealing her skills would mean being confined to Devil’s Isle. Unfortunately, hiding her power has left her untrained and unfocused.
Liam Quinn knows from experience that magic makes monsters of the weak, and he has no time for a Sensitive with no control of her own strength. But when he sees Claire using her powers to save a human under attack—in full view of the French Quarter—Liam decides to bring her to Devil’s Isle and the teacher she needs, even though getting her out of his way isn’t the same as keeping her out of his head.
But when the Veil threatens to shatter completely, Claire and Liam must work together to stop it, or else New Orleans will burn…