The Monstrous

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★★

     Another home run anthology on my “read it, loved it” list. (Actually, this list doesn’t exist, but it will.) This collection of Dark fantasy/Thriller/Horror short stories was as enticing to read as the title of collection. Some of these stories lingered in the back of my mind, even days after I was done with the book. Most of them made me question my own perception of monstrous. All of them were good, well-written, dark literature published within the last twenty years.



__________B O O K__D E T A I L S__________

T I T L E: The Monstrous
A U T H O R S: Jeffery Ford, Peter Straub, Dale Bailey, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Gemma Files, Livia Llewellyn, Adam-Roy Castro, Kim Newman, Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois, Carole Johnstone, Brian Hodge, Stephen Graham Jones, Adam L.G. Nevill, Sofia Samatar, Terry Dowling, Glen Hirshberg, A.C. Wise, Steve Rasnic Tem, Christopher Fowler, John Langan,
Edited by Ellen Datlow
P U B L I S H E R: Tachyon Publications
P U B L I S H--D A T E: October 27, 2015
I S B N: 9781616962067
Thriller, Dark Fantasy, Horror
The horror genre’s most acclaimed editor reveals twenty modern stories of evil more terrifying than monsters: The Monstrous.
Collected here are unnerving creations from the masters of fear, including Peter Straub’s vengeful kindergarten teacher, Kim Newman’s exhausted witch hunters, and Caitlín R. Kiernan’s obsessive devotee of swans. Creatures of darkness struggle to adapt to modern living and ordinary people are horrifyingly transformed in these inexplicable, deadly reflections of our day-to-day lives. From one seemingly harmless elderly man to a family reunion bent on unspeakable evil, the monstrous are far closer than they appear.



*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*