Unholy Blue by Darby Kaye

T I T L E: Unholy Blue
S E R I E S: Bannerman Boru (Nº 2)
A U T H O R: Darby Kaye
P U B L I S H E R: Spencer Hill Press/Spence City
P U B L I S H--D A T E: January 19, 2016
I S B N: 9781633920521
Urban Fantasy

Strong and Irish.
That's how Shay Doyle likes her whiskey. And her men. As Healer to a clan of immortal Celtic warriors living in modern-day Colorado, she has been gifted with such a man: Bannerman "Bann" Boru, who is warrior, lover, and father. The only problem is keeping the stubborn warrior alive. For Fate seems to have it in for Bann, and his son, Cor, descendants of the kings of Ireland, and recipient of an ancient grudge from the mad god, Cernunnos.
But, with a bit o'luck, Shay, Bann, and the rest of the Doyle clan - along with the aid of a legendary huntsman known as the Black Hand - might just suss out how to kill a shapeshifter that refuses to stay dead, prevent clan warfare, and make a choice that could change their lives.
If they don't lose them first.



     I was attracted to this book because it was about the Tuatha De Danann and the fact that it was a bit different. Since I love to read about the Fey and ancient Ireland, I can be pretty picky when it comes to stories that are based on these myths and legends.The Urban Fantasy setting in no way detracted from these subjects. I was a little worried at first that perhaps it might, but the author did a great job and I enjoyed it.
     While I didn’t read the first book in this series, at no time was I confused even a bit. I had no issues following the story or understanding what was taking place. Shay Doyle is a fantastic female character, who is both smart and tough, the way I like them. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see her kick a little more butt.
     I really liked Bann as well. I feel the author wrote his accent well. I could hear the brogue in my head as I read. He was a well developed character but maybe a bit too stubborn.
     I only have one more complaint and that concerns the love scenes. I realize that this book is urban fantasy and not erotica. But, still they felt forced and a bit on the lame side. In fact, I felt they lacked the heat and emotion that a good love scene should have. It is possible to write an emotional sex scene using other words besides “member” and not sound vulgar. Don’t get me wrong, I really wasn’t looking for anything erotic but if a love scene is included then it shouldn’t feel forced and flow well. Unfortunately, for me this didn’t seem to happen.
     Other than that, I felt this was a good read. I am looking forward to the next one in this series.


3 STAR


0